Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Luxe Life...

For a longer time than I care to remember, I've been covering the luxury field for several very glossy lifestyle magazines. The goodies here, the Aston Martin DBS, the Wittelsbach diamond (which sold at auction for the highest price in history) and the generic superyacht are all things I've covered in fairly lengthy detail.
But, as we all know, the economy has tanked so badly that even the seriously rich are retrenching so there are things that need to be considered. What is luxury really? If you own a DBS are you comfortable driving it? Would you wear a rock as big as the Wittlesbach or stow it in a vault somewhere? If you're still buying fancy stuff, what are you buying?
Since I'm still out there checking up on the newest cars, jewels, watches and other accoutremounts of the good life, I'll keep you all posted.

2 comments:

Charles said...

I never heard of this diamond...! How much did it sell for?

The Luxury Diva said...

The big blue rock sold for $24.3 million but it had a lot going for it. A killer provenance, a rare color (really blue/gray) and fairly heavy carat weight.
Check out the story I wrote when it first went to the block on my next post.